How to log a support case with VMware
File a support request
Filing a Support Request (SR) online is the fastest method to file an SR and is available to all customers covered by one of our support contracts or by the purchase of a support incident.
You can also log a request via phone.
How to log a case online
- Go to My VMware, login and select Get Support.
- Under Technical Product choose a Problem Category for the area of the product you require support on (an explanation of each problem category can be seen if you hover over the problem category with your mouse).
- Select the Entitlement Account which the SR will be associated to and that has a support contract for the product you require support for.
- After clicking Continue, a list of most common issues/questions for the product you have chosen will appear under Suggested Resources. If these suggestions do not help in solving the problem, enter a description of the problem you are experiencing in the Problem Description window and/or choose “tags” that help describe the problem further.
- If the Suggested Resources don’t solve the problem you are experiencing click on “Continue Support Request” to open an SR with VMware Technical Support.
- Fill out the necessary fields, provide a more detailed problem description and attach any/all configuration, logs and core files (as appropriate). Use the blue exclamation mark tool tips to get more information on the required fields and for guidance on values to select.
- After you fill out the SR form, your request is assigned an SR number. The SR number is confirmed with you on-screen and a confirmation email will be sent to you within one hour. Please use the SR number when communicating with VMware regarding that specific issue. If you do not receive an electronic response within one hour, please send an inquiry to Customer Service.
How to log a case by phone
If you are unable to file an SR online you can contact VMware Technical Support by phone.
For VMware Fusion and Workstation customers
Customers are also able to file support requests through the Web or leave a message at any time and should expect a response within 24 hours.
For all other VMware products
On rare occasions where the staff may be involved serving other customers, leave a detailed message including:
- Your name
- Your company name
- Phone number where you can be reached
- Support request number (if the call is in regards to an existing issue)
- A brief description of the problem
After you work with the Customer Service Representative to enter the support request, your request is assigned a support request number. The support request number will be given to you over the phone and sent to you within one hour in a computer-generated message acknowledging receipt of your support request. Please use this support request number when communicating with VMware about that specific issue.
Initial response times by the Technical Support Engineer will follow the guidelines for your specific Support offering. Response will be either by phone or email or a combination of both depending on what you specified when creating your support request.